Saturday, July 22, 2017

The coalmine murder-3



The next morning, Byomkesh, Satyabati and I were sitting in the living room of our Amherst Street residence, sipping hot tea and munching crisp biscuits. We were reading the newspaper. The thing that excites Byomkesh the most about newspapers is the Classified section, which consists of advertorials. We all were deeply engrossed in our respective newspapers. Suddenly, Byomkesh blurted out a surprising news. “Bijoy Banerjee died last night. He was in Varanasi.” Satyabati and I looked at Byomkesh with a surprised expression.

There was a knock on the door. “That must be Biren babu.”, said Byomkesh. One of Byomkesh’s eccentric hobbies was recognizing the person at the door by the nature of his knock.

It was indeed Biren Babu. His perfectly sculpted face wore a forlorn expression on it today.

“Byomkesh babu, I have some bad news.”, said Biren babu sadly.

“I know that Bijoy Banerjee died last night. It was really sad that I couldn’t meet him. The news of his death was in the Classified section in the newspaper this morning. I don’t know how he died. Could you tell me, Biren babu?” Byomkesh said plainly.

Biren babu stared at Byomkesh with a surprised look for a while, and then replied,” He died in his sleep last night. I think he suffered from a heart attack. It was surely a natural death. Also Byomkesh babu, Smita’s postmortem report arrived this morning. She inhaled Carbon Monoxide. Smita died between 6 to 7 on Sunday evening. The prick on her neck was an earlier mark. She had been to Doctor Manilal lately, for her high blood pressure. Perhaps the prick might be a mark of that visit.”

Byomkesh replied,”Biren babu, please get Dr. Manilal along with you tomorrow at the Banerjee Bhavan for the investigation.”

Biren Babu promised Byomkesh to assemble everyone tomorrow and left.

The next day revealed many secrets.

We left from home at 9 a.m. and advanced towards the Banerjee Bhavan on Curzon Street. The house was pretty huge, it had been recently constructed. It didn’t look older than 10 years. The house was three-storied and was constructed in the modern style. The railings were made of metal.

We entered the living room and saw Biren babu. Biren babu had got all the members ready for the interrogation. Anukul Banerjee, Suryakumar, Lakshmi, Deepanath Babu, Doctor Manilal and their servant Anil were all present.

We decided to conduct the interrogation in the living room. The living room was pretty big, and had 2 large sofas, an antique coffee table, a wooden dining table and a lot of showpieces. We decided to start our interrogation with Suryakumar.

Suryakumar was tall and dark and had a round face. His  hair were curly and he wore a dhoti-kurta. His actions were that of a drunkard and he behaved badly. His tone of speaking certainly gave you a hint that he drank a lot. One could really smell the alcohol in his breath.

Byomkesh started asking questions.

“Were you happy that your sister was a working lady?”

Suryakumar gave an irritated expression and replied,”Women are supposed to stay at home and cook.  I just don’t understand why she had to go and work. I am embarrassed to have such a sister.”

“I don't think there's anything wrong if a woman stands up for her rights. Anyways, tell me what you were doing that day.” Byomkesh said.

“I was at the Polo Club, gambling with my friends and drinking.”


“Fine. Do you suspect anyone?” Byomkesh asked.

“It would have been that scoundrel Bijoy. He never really liked my sister.”

“Thank you. You may leave now.”

We called Lakshmi next. She was beautiful, with big eyes and a dusky complexion. She was clad in a simple white cotton saree, but still looked extremely beautiful.

“I won’t bother you with many questions. How was your equation with your sister-in-law?” Byomkesh asked.

“Smita and I were like sisters. We both did not receive love from our husbands. We both were much more qualified than our husbands, but only Smita got a chance to exhibit her talent. Perhaps our common interests made us so close.”

“You must be deeply saddened by her death then. Why didn’t Smita try and convince your husband to allow you to work?”

“Smita tried but she failed.”

“Now all of Smita’s assets are in Suryakumar’s hands since even Bijoy died last night. So will you take care of the business now?”

“I will definitely try. But if my husband doesn’t allow, there isn’t much I can do about it.”

“Thank you Lakshmi. Please send Anukul in.”

A tall, fair and well-groomed gentleman entered. He had the deportment of a hero. His featured were sharp and his modern attire made him look handsome. He certainly looked like a professional actor.

“So Anukul, how are you doing professionally?”

“I am doing great Byomkesh babu. My recent film, Shakuntala, was a silver jubilee.”
“The ticket of Shakuntala was found in Smita’s hand during her death. Did you know Smita personally?”

“I had a very good equation with Smita. He used to watch all my films and used to complement me on my acting. After Suryakumar had drifted apart from her, I was like her brother. I was going to watch Shakunatala with her on Sunday evening.”

“How was your equation with Bijoy after he was released from jail?”

“I was really busy with my shooting and didn’t know that Dada (brother) had been released from jail earlier than he was supposed to. I never had a good equation with Dada. I really did not understand him.”

“Do you suspect anyone?”

“I suspect Bijoy da.”

“Thank you taking time from your busy schedule Anukul.”

Our conversations with Dr Manilal, Deepanath Babu and Anil did not reveal anything new.  We  returned home late in the evening.

Byomkesh and I started discussing the day’s findings.
(To be continued)

Image result for byomkesh bakshi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Perks of being alone

Solitude. They call it. Self discovery. I call it. My parents are on a trip to Thailand. Honestly, I thought I’d just sit at hom...