Friday, April 15, 2016

Kaali Maata ki jai!



7.00: I wake up for school. A new day and a new beginning. I brush my teeth and fall on the floor. I realize that I have slept while brushing.

7.05: I manage to get up from the floor and wash my face with cold water to avoid sleeping off again. I hit the scrappy sister on the back (that’s the way I tell her that she has to get up) She sits on the bed, starts her day by doing a gulanti (front roll) and landing off the bed. She gets up and starts dancing. When I ask the reason she reminds me that she has a scored a century just like Sachin Tendulkar but not in cricket, in falling off the bed.

7.15: I go for my bath. The bathroom welcomes me by a fall. I slip on the bar of soap which my sister has purposely thrown on the floor so that she can show my mother that even I can fall.

7.45: After a breakfast of cornflakes, we go down so that we can stay there for next 25 minutes and wait for the bus (it takes its own sweet time, stopping for drinking petrol and eating air for the tyres).

7.50: The most expected thing happens! Maa* meets one of her friends (she has one friend for a shopping mall, cinema, restaurant and even vacations!)Let’s name the friend Miss A. So it seems that Miss A has recently recovered from a back injury. She got it after she slipped on the bathroom floor on a bar of soap. That happened to me just this morning! I think I should get a check-up done. If something comes negative, such as a brain damage, I can’t do maths.  I tell my mother how I need to study for the SST map test and how I have to complete my  Diary of a Wimpy kid  as I  have to submit an activity on it in library.

8.00: We are still sitting like the maa from Karan Arjun**  and are waiting for our Karan Arjun (our bus) to come. My mother finally comes after the long talk. She tells me how Miss A, who comes from a conservative background, told her to put malai ***on my face to make me fairer. If I don’t do so, I will have difficulty in finding a groom for marriage. I walk over to Miss A and tell her the following:





  •           The only thing I am currently interested in is my studies-not marriage.
  •      Marriage isn't the ultimate goal of life for a girl. 
  •        Being fair is not being beautiful.
  •       I am sure you must be using Fair and lovely.

  •              I like my dusky complexion. I don’t want to be Snow White; I am fine being Kaali Maata****.
  •            The actual beauty is inner beauty.

She is stunned and just sashays away .Her sari gets stuck in a branch and in an attempt to remove it she splashes leaves and twigs all over her hair. So the proverb is right, jaisi karni vaisi bharni*****.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
*maa= mother 
**Karan Arjun = a famous hindi movie in which two brothers 
are separated and their mother waits patiently for them 
***malai= cream 
****Kaali maata = an Indian goddess associated with killing 
of demons. She wear a necklace of skulls and drinks blood.
*****jaisi karni vaisi bharni= you reap what you sow

5 comments:

Perks of being alone

Solitude. They call it. Self discovery. I call it. My parents are on a trip to Thailand. Honestly, I thought I’d just sit at hom...