Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Modern Gandhigiri



Just don’t kill me for posting late. I was on a trip to Kaas, a flower valley, when this idea came to my bored-with-joblessness-mind. Mahatma Gandhi, lovingly known as Bapu in India is amongst the most powerful personalities in world history. It was his birthday recently and this article is a small tribute to the Father of the Nation.

Who doesn’t know Gandhiji? We Indians know almost every historic detail about him. So I thought of drifting away from the boring, informative articles to a more chilled-out and modern version of a Gandhi article. So this article is basically some feelings I relate with Bapu and their context with the youth’s current lifestyle. (Sounds complicated, right?)

1.   Freedom- for Gandhiji, freedom meant freedom of our nation from the British. But for students, freedom is a long list. Freedom from exams, studies, to play, to read, from parent’s and teacher’s pressure and expectations, to bake, to sing, to dance, to chill out with our buddies is just a mere 10% of this long list. We are more of a we-don’t-give-a-damn-about-the-nation kind of population. Our thoughts for freedom are confined to school and play and hobbies.

2.   Peace- Peace for us? Putting in headphones and hearing 1D, Hardwell, Justin Bieber, Katy Perry or Selena Gomez’s latest track or our beloved Bollywood numbers is synonymous to peace for us. Peace for Gandhiji? It was singing Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram. That shows development. Bhajan to hip hop. Sometimes I wonder, are we from the same country?

3.   Non-violence-This doesn’t feature in our lives. We follow the vo-do-maare-tum-chaar-maaro* policy. Gandhiji was the ultimate idol for non-violence. Are we really his descendants?

4.   Selflessness- Gandhiji did not care about his life while fighting for freedom. He was very altruistic. He was monotheistic, his religion being freedom. We are more under the self-centered category. For example, reading is religious for me, social service or altruism don’t even feature in my list.

5.   Patriotism- Gandhiji and patriotism are synonymous to me. We all are so patriotic that we dream of jobs in international markets (I’m being sarcastic). Gandhiji freed this country for this country to live. But our eyes see just Paris, Chicago, New York and London.


Hope you enjoyed this article. Bapu is the best!



Image result for gandhigiri
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*vo-do-maare-tum-chaar-maaro-violence

No comments:

Post a Comment

Perks of being alone

Solitude. They call it. Self discovery. I call it. My parents are on a trip to Thailand. Honestly, I thought I’d just sit at hom...