Sunday, June 26, 2016

Emotional atyachaar


For Indians, daily soaps are all about drama, bizarre stuff and plots and intrigues. Most Indian daily soaps are pathetic. If you are a civilized, literate person who has a brain, you would never understand these shows. I don’t watch these daily soaps; I read the newspaper for the updates.  
Recently, at school, we were discussing on daily soaps. That’s when I thought of this article. I visited my nani’s* place recently, and she is addicted to these daily soaps. 6 to 10 in the evening she is glued to the television. I really got a headache looking at those shows. God knows how people watch these shows.

The worse of the lot are Hindi shows. What I mean to say is, for TRPs, they turn their female protagonists to houseflies! Isn’t that really stupid?
Well, I might criticize these daily soap addicts, but I really love one of the shows. It is a really different show with a new concept. It’s a bi-lingual show. It has both Marathi and Hindi. It’s called Kahe diya Pardes. I absolutely love that show! I love criticizing daily soaps but this one’s really awesome. What I mean to say is, there are few good daily soaps as well, where there is minimal drama, the makers have common sense and the shows are relatable.

This article is basically an attempt to express my dislike towards the daily dramas. When I use the word “drama”, I mean it. I just want to spread the message that some shows show all sort of nonsense and we shouldn’t encourage this nonsense. Acting is an art. So the 5 most irritating things about daily soaps for me are:

1)    Bizarre creatures: This is basically the addition of supernatural creatures. Addition of gorillas, naagins, nevlas, daayans, **tigers, ghosts, buffaloes, etc is included here. This is kind of stupid as it makes the show from a show that is supposed to be relatable to a Conjuring-kind-of show.

2)    The three repetitions: When a dialogue is “crucial”, it is repeated thrice. There is no wall in their houses which produces echo. Where does that come from? Also, when these sounds repeat, the family members’ faces are shown. They always bear the same shocked expression. If you click a picture each time the repetition takes place, it’d be the same each time.

3)    Change in scene: When the male protagonist is going to tell his dil ki baat ***to the female protagonist, the scene suddenly shifts to what his mother is making for dinner. I mean, who will show an interest in that? (Some foodies like me might)

4)    Stuff devoid common sense: This includes all the stuff like the bahus**** and saas***** going to bed with a dollop of makeup, characters coming back to life, fake marriages,rebirths,characters not aging etc.

5)    Women are shown weaker: In most shows, women sit at home decked up in 24 carat jewels. They have little say in house matters. They are practically jobless and all do is plot against each other. There are few women who work in shows though, like Gauri from Kahe Diya Pardes.

Thank you for reading this article, hope you enjoyed!


P.S.: These are my views. I do not intend to hurt anyone’s sentiments about daily soaps.


Saas-Bahu 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*nani's - mother's mother's
**naagins, nevlas, daayans - snakes,mongooses,witches
*** dil ki baat -(here) that he loves her
****bahus - sister-in-laws
*****saas- mother-in-law

6 comments:

Perks of being alone

Solitude. They call it. Self discovery. I call it. My parents are on a trip to Thailand. Honestly, I thought I’d just sit at hom...